As we start to age, our face begins to sag. It loses its definition and contours, and wrinkles appear. These changes make us look older. Many people, naturally, do not like this progression and opt for a facelift as a way to regain their lost looks. These operations are used to tighten the skin, remove excess fat, and make the wrinkles vanish entirely.
Facelifts are a common operation, and so many people have an idea of what to expect when it comes to facelift surgery. However, not many people are aware of what goes into the recovery and healing process and how to prepare for it.
What to Expect with Facelift Recovery
Here are several things that you should be expecting during recovery after a facelift:
• Once you wake up after facelift surgery, you may have drains around the places where incisions were made. These are placed to remove the excess fluid that may accumulate, helping to avoid seromas and hematomas.
• After the surgery, you will be put on a drip for ample hydration, and your pain levels will be under scrutiny regularly. Expect to feel sleepy and nauseous for a time. You will also have tightness around your face.
• You will be discharged two to three days after surgery, depending on your recovery time and whether you can manage light tasks such as going to the bathroom and walking around. You will have to wear a chin strap at this time.
• You will experience frequent numbness on your face, with some itchiness where you have your stitches. About a week after the surgery, the surgeon will remove your stitches. The swelling and tightness will start going down once the stitches get removed.
• Over the next few months, you will have to take extreme caution in regard to your eating habits and your exercise levels. Do not do anything strenuous, as your face will still be in recovery mode.
• Slowly but steadily, you should ease your way back into your previous lifestyle. It will take up to a year for the swelling to fully ameliorate, but the majority will disappear much sooner.
• The facelift will give you a more youthful look. Facelift results can typically last for ten years. Be careful with what you eat and maintain a healthy lifestyle to preserve your results for as long as possible.
After the surgery, undertake all precautions to ensure that your face heals correctly. Follow all of your surgeon’s post-surgical care directions as closely as you can in order to experience the most comfortable healing process possible.
Schedule an Informative Facelift Consultation Today
To ensure that you get the best facelift results possible, you will have to find the best surgeon for the job. Do your research well, and do not settle for anything less than the best.
Doctors Matthew Romans and Jeremy Silk are skilled and experienced board-certified plastic surgeons with numerous satisfied patients. To schedule a consultation and learn more about facelift recovery, contact us and set up your appointment.