Why a Tummy Tuck Could Be Your Perfect Choice
Are you familiar with a tummy tuck procedure? A tummy tuck, formally known as abdominoplasty, is a surgical procedure performed in the abdominal region for body contouring. It is usually performed for patients after massive weight loss or as part of a mommy makeover for women after childbirth.
A tummy tuck not only has aesthetic benefits, it can also bring about significant improvements in your health and overall wellbeing. Here at Salinas Valley Plastic Surgery Associates, Dr. Matthew Romans and Dr. Jeremy Silk, board-certified plastic surgeons, make sure that their clients can enjoy both benefits from a tummy tuck.
The Aesthetic Advantages of Tummy Tuck Surgery
The aesthetic benefits are often the reason people decide to have tummy tuck surgery. Let us discuss the aesthetic advantages of abdominoplasty:
- Flatter Stomach – A tummy tuck creates a flatter and firmer abdomen. It removes excess fat and skin from the abdominal area while tightening sagging muscles, resulting in a sleeker appearance.
- Contoured Abdominal Area – Pregnancy or weight loss can weaken or separate the abdominal muscles. A tummy tuck surgery repairs and tightens these abdominal muscles, enhancing the definition of the abdominal area.
- Better Posture – Tightened abdominal muscles can improve posture, as they can provide better support for the spine.
- Reduced Stretch Marks – By removing excess skin, the procedure can help reduce or eliminate stretch marks around the abdomen, resulting in smoother skin.
Health Benefits of Abdominoplasty
Without a doubt, abdominoplasty offers plenty of aesthetic benefits. However, it can also deliver significant medical benefits:
- Reduce Back Pain – Weight loss or pregnancy weakens the abdominal muscles, resulting in a strained back or back pain. By tightening the abdominal muscles, abdominoplasty can reduce or eliminate discomfort.
- Strengthen Core – The strength and stability of your core can be affected by your abdominal muscles. Having weakened abdominal muscles can make it difficult to engage in physical activities. Tightening the abdominal muscles means strengthening your core.
- Reduce Stress Urinary Incontinence (SUI) – Women often experience stress urinary incontinence after childbirth. Tightening the abdominal muscles can relieve pressure on the pelvic floor and bladder, thus reducing SUI.
- Reduce Irritation and Rashes – Extra skin can cause irritation and rashes in the abdomen and pelvic area. A tummy tuck effectively treats this by removing excess skin.
Is a Tummy Tuck Right for You?
After learning the remarkable benefits of a tummy tuck when performed by accomplished board-certified plastic surgeons, let us discuss the characteristics of ideal tummy tuck candidates:
- Good Overall Health – As a surgical procedure, candidates should be in optimal health with no medical conditions that can impair healing.
- Stable Weight – Candidates should be at or near their ideal weight. Any significant weight changes can affect the results of the procedure.
- Realistic Expectations – Candidates should be open and honest about their goals and discuss them with their surgeons to achieve ideal results.
- Non-Smoker – Since smoking can hinder the healing process, non-smokers are the best candidates for this procedure. If you are smoking, you must commit to quitting for a certain period before and after a tummy tuck.
- Finished Family Planning – Women should have no future pregnancy plans before considering abdominoplasty. This will ensure that they enjoy lasting results.
Contact Us to Learn More
At Plastic Surgery Associates, Dr. Romans and Dr. Silk are committed to helping you achieve your desired results. If a tummy tuck is a perfect fit for you, contact us and set up an appointment today!